Burwalls House
Burwalls House

Situated in a magnificent position overlooking Bristol this house was built for Joseph Leech, local newspaper baron, in 1872. He died there in 1893 and subsequently George Wills bought the house. George extended the house and his land holdings in the area and in 1908 donated Leigh Woods including Nightingale Valley and Burwalls Wood to the National Trust. The University bought it from the Trustees of his estate in 1948. It operated as a Hall of Residence until 1973 when it became the University’s Conference Centre. A year ago the University put Burwalls up for sale. There is now a new owner, a property development company. In March 2014, the architects and planners presented their ideas and designs to local residents and others. Further information will be published on this site when it becomes available.

 

Leigh Woods Society   Introduction   Monthly Column   Dates & Events   Society News   NH Watch   Bracken Hill   Sparks Nature   Nature Reserve   History   Local Interest   Contacts 
Leigh Woods Society   Introduction   Monthly Column   Dates & Events   Society News   NH Watch   Bracken Hill   Sparks Nature   Nature Reserve   History   Local Interest   Contacts 
website design software
Leigh Woods Society